The Custom Drawn Map Process
- When I receive a request for a map the client usually provides a Google map location, along with any pertinent photos that indicate topography, landscape or architecture.
- If it is for a book or magazine article, the text is provided for information.
- I draw a preliminary layout and fax it for approval. The faxed layout is an accurate indication of the design and elements that will be included in the map.
- After approval, I start the watercolor and ink process. There is very little room at this point to make revisions, so the fax proof is a very important step.
- When the map is completed I send it by Fed Ex, if it is an original artwork request. If the map is for a publication I send it in a pdf or tif formatt as requested by the art director.
- Map prices tend to range between $250 to $450